MLIT Honors MOL for Support of Quake Relief Efforts
- Commends visit by cruise ship Fuji Maru to stricken areas -
July 27, 2012
TOKYO-Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL; President: Koichi Muto) today announced that it has received a certificate of appreciation from Yuichiro Hata, Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism for its support activities in the wake of the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami, including visits by the cruise ship Fuji Maru to areas stricken by the disaster.
The Fuji Maru called at three ports-Ofunato, Kamaishi, and Miyako during the week April 11-17, 2011. A total of 4,451 local citizens used free services of the vessel for meals, baths, and rest.
MOL has also provided various transport service and other support activities, and nearly a year and a half after the disaster it continues to draw on its group-wide network to promote reconstruction of the stricken areas.
Main MOL Group support activities
- Provided 39 containers (20-foot equivalent) to transport international relief aid to the areas stricken by the quake
- Donated a total of 27 reefer containers (20-foot equivalent) to the areas stricken by the quake to provide interim freezer and refrigeration space at fishing ports destroyed by the tsunami.
- Contributed a total 113 million yen (50 million yen from MOL and 63 million yen from MOL Group executives and employees) in cash donations to the Japan Red Cross and Central Community Chest of Japan.
- MOL Group company MOL Ferry Co., Ltd. transported about 3,700 Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) personnel and 1,260 emergency vehicles headed for the quake-stricken areas from Tomakomai, Hokkaido, to Aomori.