1. MOL Group's Workstyle Reforms
Led by the "Workstyle Reforms Committee," which was established in September 2016 and operates under the leadership of the president and CEO, MOL has carried forward workstyle reforms aimed at fostering competitive personnel and realizing innovation with a corporate culture that enables MOL Group members to work with vigor and enthusiasm.
This is based on the concept to realize the 10-year vision - we need free ideas, unbound to conventional ways of thinking, and the corporate culture and organizational strength that will give form to those ideas, in addition to more efficient operations.
MOL seeks to improve productivity to free up the time to move forward with innovative operations cross conventional border lines, on the axis of four priority areas: "personnel system reforms," "corporate culture reforms," "workplace reforms," and "productivity reforms." At the same time, in consideration of employees' lifestyles and life stages, we create flexible workstyles, and carry forward efficient and well-organized ways of working, so that all employees can gain a sense of fulfilment from their jobs.
2. Details of Actions on Workstyle Reforms
- [ Personnel System ]
- Implement "Smart-biz" (*)
- Introduce remote work system
- Encourage male employees to take childcare leave
- Implement breakfast campaign
- Introduce new personnel system that enables early development of leaders and double-track career path
- [ Corporate Culture ]
- Implement various "HOT Dialogue" sessions, such as between the president & CEO and a division, and among GMs
- Assist internal meetings across units
- Hold "One MOL Seminar," which introduces group-wide best practices
- Implement no overtime work days, when all employees leave work on time
- [ Workplace ]
- Placed lounges in spaces opened up by reducing/ reorganizing paper documents.
- Introduced a free-address pilot office in May 2019, and assessed the effectiveness of the office.
- [ Improvement of Productivity ]
- Establish rules for internal meetings
- Automate operations by introducing Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Implement "Paper Off! Project" with the aim of achieving a drastic reduction in the volume of paper documents
(*) System by which employees themselves can decide their appropriate clothing when in office.
3．Personnel System/Evaluation System
To promote its sustainable growth, MOL strives to develop personnel who are "committed to acting with a sense of ownership and creating new values(*)," and can play active roles in today's global market.
(*) "Highly capable individuals who have a sense of ownership" are the personnel who can always find a solution, embody a sense of ownership even when facing a challenge, and follow through on problem solving, working in close cooperation with everyone involved.
We will benefit employees by enhancing personal development and job satisfaction, and society at large, by making the most of a personnel system that fosters individual career development. Specifically, we will implement a personnel system with the following two characteristics.
(1) Evaluation system (early development of leaders; fairness)
- A variety of evaluations to open paths toward leadership regardless of age
- Disseminate the personnel appraisal guidebook to make the rules transparent to employees
- Enhance fairness by thorough communication with managers including feedback more than 4~5 times a year, to encourage individual employees to steadily achieve each goal and reward their success.
(2) Double-tracking career path
- Those in non-managerial positions can choose either the managerial track or regionally limited track according to their goals and life stage.
- Those in managerial positions can choose either a career track aiming at developing the next generation of leaders or specialists with the in-depth job knowledge and abilities required of professional in a specific field.
- Set goals
- Interview to set goals for 1H (Grade subject in bi-annual evaluation)
- Interview to set goals for full year (Give grade subject to annual evaluation)
- Interim interview
- Evaluation interview for1H, interview to set 2H goals (Grade subject to bi-annual evaluation)
- Interim interview (Grade subject to annual evaluation)
- Personnel evaluation
- Evaluation interview for 2H, annual review (Grade subject to bi-annual evaluation)
- Full-year evaluation interview (Grade subject to annual evaluation)
- Alignment of annual evaluation and goals for next year based on feedback interview
* MOL has adopted a system that not only enhances fairness through thorough interviews between employees and evaluators, but also provides support and guidance in establishing mid-to-long-term career goals and career plans.
4．Workplace Reforms Project
In May 2019, MOL opened a pilot office, which introduced the free address system as a place to try various reform measures. In the design stage, we reorganized MOL's intended workstyles into three themes - "Trial & Error, Challenge with Collaboration," "Quick Communication, Quick Action," and "Maximize Performance," and created an office that can realize each theme. Various kinds of office furniture are arranged in an open layout, and there are cross-divisional communication spaces as well as concentration spaces. Using each space for its intended use on top of making the best use of online meetings and other information and communications technology (ICT) tools not only enhances employees' job satisfaction, but also improves their operations. MOL is planning to expand the pilot office on a company-wide basis, to fulfill our vision for enhanced workstyles.
5. To Spur Further Innovation
One of the aims of MOL's workstyle reforms is to realize innovation by making use of time freed up by various workstyle reform measures. As an example, we introduced the "MOL Group Employee Proposal System,", in 2019, which solicits new business ideas from employees. Employees who propose an idea that is accepted are allocated to another division for a year and work full-time on verifying the feasibility of the proposed business.